When teeth break it can result in a varying degree of other problems. You might not even feel a tooth break, but you will most likely either feel the piece or pieces that broke of, or you could feel the sharp edge created by the fracture.
Why did my tooth break?
- Biting on hard objects, such as ice or hard candies.
- Trauma resulting from accidents of physical contact.
- Grinding your teeth (bruxism).
What factors increase the Risk Of Breaking A Tooth?
- Better oral care – Oral care keeps teeth strong and healthy.
- Tooth decay – Cavities directly impact the enamel, if you have any, they should be treated.
- Acidic foods – Acid will negatively impact your enamel, try to eat less acidic foods.
- Eating disorders and/or alcohol use – Vomiting can bring stomach acid in contact with teeth.
- Eat less sugary and carb-rich foods – Sugar can increase the acid in your mouth.
- Age – Teeth wear out over time, you need to be more vigilant as you get older.
Which teeth are most at risk for breaking?
How can you diagnose a chipped tooth?
- Feeling a jagged surface.
- Local irritation of the gums.
- Pain from the tooth when biting or chewing.
How Is A Chipped Or Broken Tooth Treated?
If a tooth falls out and you still have pieces of it, keep these pieces in milk if you have it. If not, keep it in the water. An alternative would also be tucking it in your gum as long as you know you won’t swallow it.
Veneers are great if the break occurs on the front of the tooth. Part of the enamel will be shaved down, and an impression will be made. Afterward, the impression will be sent to a lab and a veneer will be made-to-order. A temporary veneer will be placed until the permanent one is able to be inserted.
If part of the top of the tooth is fractured, an onlay may be recommended. This is because a onlay only bonds part of the tooth. A mold of your tooth will be made for the lab, and an onlay will be created from that mold. Once it is received, the dentist will insert it on the affected tooth.
If the client can’t afford the recommended treatment, or the break is too severe and the extra pieces weren’t kept, it can be extracted.