What is root canal?
Root canal therapy is an option when the tooth or teeth are considered repairable, but it is either abscessed, fractured, heavily decayed, or causing pain. Root canals are surgical or non-surgical, the most popular method is non-surgical.
What Does Root Canal therapy Look Like?
How Is A Root Canal Therapy Performed?
Cleaning And Shaping
The permanent filling material is placed to prevent the re-entry of bacteria into the sealed and disinfected canal(s).
Dental Crown Cementation
After the root canal has been in the tooth for some time, a crown could be recommended.
The crown is the preferred final restoration for many root canal-treated teeth because it lowers the risk of fracture (root canal teeth can become brittle over time).
Experiencing a dental emergency? >
Is Root Canal Treatment Common?
Root canal treatment is possibly the most widely recognized dental treatment. It is used to cure the infection that is at the centre of the tooth. Every tooth has a root canal system and an infection to it creates trouble. The infection might be caused by bacteria or bad oral care. The infection can result in tooth decay, leaky filings that were done earlier in the tooth and damage to the teeth that could result in tooth loss.
Does the tooth need to hurt for a root canal?
Your dentist will perform a variety of tests on your teeth and will then decide if the root canal procedure is an appropriate one.
Root Canals can be done in 3 or less trips
It’s common to complete a root canal procedure in as few as one or two sessions.
There are some issues that may arise:
- The tooth is heavily infected.
- How difficult the root canal is.
- Whether or not you need a specialist.
Who Needs Root Canal Therapy?
Root canal therapy might not be recommended if:
- The pulp is damaged significantly and cannot repair itself.
- There is a crack, or deep cavity that will allow for bacteria to enter the tooth causing infection.
recovery from root canal therapy
First 24 hours
- Rest and relax.
- Don’t use a straw or smoke.
- Don’t rinse, if you must, spit gently.
- Use pillows when you lay down.
- Avoid the extraction site when brushing or flossing.
- Eat soft foods after the procedure.
After 24 hours
- Add half a teaspoon of salt to 8 ounces of water to rinse your mouth.
- Slowly introduce your normal diet.
Frequently asked questions
$662.15 for a single root canal. (The Alberta average is $691.15)
While it can sometimes be done in 1 visit, it’s generally 2. If the Root Canal is overly difficult it could be more.
Lots of people believe root canals are painful, but they are no more painful than a filling.
Healing will began within 1 week and should be carefully monitored by your dentist or endodontist.