Root Canal Therapy is also known as endodontic therapy, it refers to a procedure that tries to remove an infection that has occurred inside the tooth. In best-case scenarios it can also protect the tooth from getting future infections.
Fast facts about root canal therapy
- Root canal therapy removes nerves from the pulp of a tooth.
- It is thought to be painful surgery, but it is about as painful as a filling
- Root canal therapy and endodontic therapy are the same procedure!
- Root canal therapy costs vary, but are much more affordable than replacing a tooth with a crown or bridge.
What Is a Root Canal?
the root Vs. the crown
- The root – This part of the tooth sits below the gumline. As mentioned, this contains nerves, blood vessels, and pulp.
- The crown – This part of the tooth sits above the gumline.
How is root canal therapy performed?
- Cleaning the root canal – The dentist will remove everything inside the root canal. The dentist will put the patient under anesthesia, they will make a small hole, then the dentist will remove all the dead and impacted pulp.
- The dentist shapes and cleans the hollow area, using small files and irrigation solutions. The tooth is filled with a rubber-like material, using an adhesive material to seal the canal closed.
- Adding a crown or filling – A tooth with no pulp gets its nourishment from the ligament that joins the tooth to the bone. This supply is will work, but eventually, the tooth will become more brittle, so a crown or filling offers protection.
Who needs root canal therapy?
- The pulp is damaged significantly and cannot repair itself.
- There is a crack, or deep cavity that will allow for bacteria to enter the tooth causing infection.
What does root canal therapy cost?
How can one prevent the need for root canal therapy?
- Brushing teeth in the morning, and at night. (If possible, brush or pick your teeth at lunch time as well)
- Flouride is highly reccomended for oral health, use a toothpaste with flouride.
- Regular checkups help a great deal with infection prevention.
- Floss, toothpics, and mouth wash are great tools to add to your aresenal